Public Health Manager
Company: City of Wauwatosa
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Date Posted: February 17, 2017
Application Deadline: March 3, 2017
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $61,750 to $70,568 depending on experience and qualifications
Public Health Manager
About the Position
Under the general direction of the City of Wauwatosa Health Officer, the Public Health Manager serves to manage the environmental health and preparedness programs for the Wauwatosa Health Department (WHD).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following are normal for the position but shall not be construed as exclusive or inclusive. Other related duties may be required and assigned.
Environmental Health Program and Preparedness Program
• Supervises up to 5 personnel (registered sanitarians, support staff)
• Manages the State Agent DHS/DATCP Contracts: licensing process and reconciliation
• Oversees inspections and enforcement for licensed food establishments, recreational waters, lodging, school cafeterias and vending to ensure compliance; manages and troubleshoots the environmental health electronic database
• Supervises programs and services to promote health and prevent diseases such as radon awareness, safe lead remediation procedures and community education
• Manages the tracking, trends, enforcement and report writing related to investigations of nuisance and human health hazards; troubleshoots citizen complaints
• Oversees the investigation, monitoring and enforcement of municipal health ordinances and state statutes regarding the control of animals and rabies prevention
• Collects, analyzes, trends data; analyzes and prepares reports on program outcomes
• Attends internal and external meetings to coordinate programs and present information and progress
• Manages preparedness grant objectives, activities and reports; participates in meetings and exercises as a health department representative
• Updates the Public Health Emergency Response Plan, including ongoing local updates
• Participates in supervisory and management trainings for workforce development
• Participates in health department quality improvement initiatives and accreditation requirements
• Works with community partners to implement the City’s health improvement plan and programs
The starting salary for this position is $61,750 to $70,568 depending on experience and qualifications, with the ability to earn up to $84,682 over time; accompanied by an exceptional benefits package.
• Bachelor's degree in environmental health, public health, the physical or biological sciences or a related field
• Valid WI Driver's License and valid auto insurance must be maintained throughout employment
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products including Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet Explorer.
• Ability to complete specific training modules in accordance with the National Incident Management System (NIMS) standards within the first year of hire.
The City of Wauwatosa reserves the right to utilize equivalencies where deemed appropriate with regard to education and experience requirements and may consider combinations of education and experience likely to lead to success with essential duties and responsibilities.
• Three years of experience in the field of environmental health
• Demonstrated leadership ability
• Registration as an Environmental Health Specialist or Registered Sanitarian (REHS/RS)
• Supervisory experience
• Epidemiology coursework or experience
• Proficiency in Microsoft Publisher and Survey Monkey
• Proficiency in Sequel Server
• Ability to communicate (verbal and written) in a second language
• RS Surge capacity
We hire people with strong technical skills and who embrace change and who are ready to help make Wauwatosa a better, stronger community. All of our employees are leaders. We place as much emphasis on leadership as technical skills. The following leadership competencies have been identified as essential qualities for success in this position:
• Change Management
• Problem Solving and Conflict Resolution
• Develops and Motivates Others
• Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• Team Player
How to Apply
Interested applicants should visit our website to apply: www.wauwatosa.net. The application deadline is 4:30pm on Friday, 3/3/17.