Seasonal Environmental Technician
Company: Minneapolis Health Department
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Date Posted: February 22, 2017
Application Deadline: March 3, 2017
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $13.59 - $17.77 Hourly
Seasonal Environmental Technician
About the Position
This is a seasonal position. Perform work under the direction of Environmental Services Inspectors or Registered Sanitarians that benefits the Minneapolis Health Department in the Environmental Services areas such as Soil Erosion, Water Quality, and Storm Water. Seasonal Technicians will be hired annually to work full time between May-September in an ACA non benefit earning position, the actual amount of time worked depending on the availability of the individuals hired.
Seasonal Technician job postings are currently open in the Environmental Services and Food Lodging and Pools divisions. By applying for this job posting, you will be considered only for the Environmental Services position.
If you are also interested in the Food Lodging and Pools position, you must also apply for that position separately.
Salary Range: $13.59 - $17.77 hourly
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform studies that analyze objective data regarding the area assigned and generate reports.
- Assist Inspectors on field investigations for problems relevant to the assigned area which may include noise, air quality, water quality, soil pollution, soil erosion, and emergency response.
- Assist inspectors with inspections and in developing and issuing written orders that address non- compliance • Use GIS to create maps of the location of identified issues.
- Recommend permit denials, revocations, or administrative fines to the Supervisor or Inspectors.
- Assist in the work of/with stakeholders on area assigned issues, including, businesses, and neighborhood groups; attend and make presentations at meetings, prepare letters and update website information.
- Represent the Health Department to the public and to outside organizations.
Working Conditions: Office and in the Field assisting in inspections and evaluative work.
Required Qualifications: Must be in the process of earning, or have already earned, a Bachelor's Degree in Natural or Physical Science, Engineering, or Environmental Studies or a related field with a background in science and environmental studies. (Transcripts must be submitted with your application).
Licenses/Certifications: Valid Driver's License.
Transcripts Required: You must submit copies of your transcripts, showing you are in the process of completing or have successfully completed the required Bachelor's degree by the application closing date. Upload the documents to your application. Without transcripts, your application will be deemed as incomplete and may not be submitted for further consideration.
Cover Letter and Resume Required. You MUST submit your cover letter and resume in order to be considered for this position. Without it, your application will be deemed as incomplete and may not be given further consideration.
Cultural competency - Ability to relate and work effectively with people from diverse cultural, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
Decisions concerning an applicant's qualifications for this position will be based on information provided in one's application materials. Fill out the application form as accurately and completely as possible. Screening questions, if any, should all be answered, as needed. The following tests may be used as part of the selection process: an evaluation of education, training, and experience; an oral exam; a written exam; work simulation exercises, candidate assessments; and/or other relevant selection tools (passing is 70%). At each step of the process, Human Resources reserves the right to limit the number of applicants to be tested.
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be considered further for the position.
DRUG / ALCOHOL TESTING:
All job applicants must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test once a conditional offer of employment has been made. Applicants will be required to sign a notification and consent form prior to undergoing drug and alcohol testing. Applicants who do not consent to undergo drug and alcohol testing will not be required to do so and the City will withdraw the conditional job offer, resulting in the job applicant no longer being considered for the position.
This position is Non-Represented.
The eligible list created for this exam will expire three (3) months after being established.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of Geographic Information Systems preferred.
- Prior experience working on projects relating to environmental health issues is desired.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of 2010 Microsoft Office Products (e.g. Excel and Access) to gather, store, manipulate, analyze and disseminate data.
How to Apply
Apply online: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/jobs/opp/WCMS1Q-074686