Food Safety Manager
Location: St. Louis, MO
Date Posted: March 13, 2017
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full time
Food Safety Manager
About the Position
The Food Safety Manager is responsible for monitoring and assisting stores within an assigned group to achieve the highest level of Food Safety possible for our customers and employees. This includes ensuring the assigned locations are in compliance with both Federal and local food codes and all Company policies and procedures.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Conducts frequent and unscheduled food safety and sanitation visits to stores with particular emphasis on those locations with below average third party food safety survey results, evidence of pest problems, customer complaints, regulatory action, history of non-compliance or referral by other company associates or management.
- Reviews visit findings with key store personnel and provide assistance to correct deficient conditions.
- Communicates findings to Save A Lot leaders for follow-up and support, as needed.
- Assists in coordinating all food safety and sanitation efforts with the SAL operations team under the direction of the Food Safety Director.
- Monitors and assists stores to comply with local, state and federal food safety and health standards, including personal hygiene and hand washing, temperature control of potentially hazardous foods, cross contamination control, pest control and chemical use training.
- Stays abreast of regulatory requirements for food safety and store sanitation to provide necessary direction to Banner operations executives.
- Serves on cross-functional teams driving food safety initiatives.
- Provides input in Merchandising and Operations’ programs to ensure compliance with local/State/Federal food safety requirements.
- As needed, assists with investigations of food-related illness claims to determine and implement corrective action.
- Monitors third-party sanitation and pest control providers in their day-to-day services to stores, communicating to them store needs for training, supplies and service.
- Conducts joint surveys/visits with third party sanitation provider to develop and foster a partnership and ensure consistent, thorough store visits.
- Analyzes third party food safety and sanitation survey data and provides periodic trend analysis reports for the SAL operations team.
Product Recalls and Compliance:
- Manages and administers SAL recall process to ensure timely communication and execution of all recalls.
- Supports after hours recall procedures ensuring completion at the store level.
- Reviews product recall bulletins for accuracy and completeness.
- Monitors dissemination and store execution of product recalls.
- Evaluates effectiveness of recall process during store visits.
- Assists and follow-up if necessary on Associate Hotline Calls.
- Independently track and maintain all relevant subscriptions and access to recall notifications.
- Streamline and automate the recall process to ensure continuous improvement and a commitment to accuracy and efficiency.
- Maintain accurate recall records in keeping with all regulatory required standards.
- Implements plans to address noted deficiencies to ensure compliance with Company policies and applicable health regulations.
- Develops and delivers food safety and sanitation training to associates as required by local/State Regulations.
- Monitors and assists with corporate food safety and sanitation training programs and on-the-job training of new associates with respect to food safety and sanitation policies and procedures.
- Determines need for additional or renewed training, considering changes in cleaning programs or equipment, new health regulations or concerns and repeat inspection deficiencies or lack of ability to demonstrate required knowledge.
- Develops and communicates regular food safety and sanitation messages to the SAL operations team to foster continuous improvement.
- Maintains channels of communication, encouraging store and SAL personnel to express new ideas, suggestions and complaints, reviewing each for appropriateness and further action.
- Maintains channels of communication with State and local health regulators to provide for quick action to correct and prevent regulatory violations.
- Provides regular updates of all regulatory trends and actions that impact the Company.
- Participates in local and regional staff meetings, operations department meetings and training meetings.
Other Duties As Assigned:
- Develops and fosters active working relationships with State/Local health officials in all states of responsibility to provide input into developing regulations and inspection processes.
- Works with professional associations to promote Company interests.
Multiple retail stores dispersed throughout the US.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Environmental Health, Food Science, or equivalent and 5+ years of experience in food safety.
- Previous experience or education in food handling, sanitation, or public health preferred.
- Prior recall experience preferred.
- Familiarity with retail grocery operations preferred. Must obtain all professional licensure required by local law or regulation.
- Must possess leadership ability to motivate others to achieve desired results, work effectively with a wide variety of people on a daily basis.
- Strong analytical skills required for data interpretation and analysis.
- Computer skills in word-processing and spread sheet software preferred.
- Must possess strong human relations skills with the ability to teach, coach and counsel associates; possess good conflict resolution skills; and the ability to work with a diverse workforce with differing backgrounds and abilities.
- Ability to set high standards and follow through with store personnel directly and indirectly. Must be able to hold personnel accountable to standards and implement corrective action when necessary.
- Must possess high degree of self-motivation, initiative and ability to work independently.
- Demonstrates effective planning and organization skills with ability to multi-task within a fast paced environment.
- Exercises tact and discretion in interpersonal contacts.
- Possess ability to communicate concepts, systems, procedures, etc. in a training environment.
- Ability to travel as much as 40%
- In the retail stores, incumbent may perform any number of physical activities to accomplish assigned duties such as walking and standing (90% of the workday when in the stores), bending, stooping, reaching, and lifting up to 40 lbs.
- Some work is performed in a temperature controlled office environment.
- May be in refrigerated food processing rooms for extended periods, may handle hazardous chemicals and manipulate or install cleaning equipment and dispensers.
- Incumbent must be able to move throughout the store including second story offices, back rooms and check stands.
- Incumbent may sit for long periods of time at desk or computer terminal.
- Incumbent may use calculators, keyboards, telephone and other office equipment in the course of normal workday.
- Stooping, bending, twisting and reaching may be required in completion of job duties.
- Incumbent must have a valid drivers’ license and be able to provide own transportation (mileage will be reimbursed).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by the employees assigned to this job. All employees must comply with Company policy and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified may vary within each department and/or location.
How to Apply
Qualified Candidates can apply at the Save-A-Lot Careers page at the following link: