Regional Retail QA & Food Safety Manager
Company: Starbucks Coffee Company
Location: Minneapolis, Indianapolis, St. Louis or Nashville
Date Posted: April 6, 2017
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full time
Regional Retail QA & Food Safety Manager
About the Position
This job contributes to Starbucks Coffee Company success by managing the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of retail/food service quality and food safety programs to ensure the availability of safe, wholesome, premium quality finished products for our customers. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
- Influences product and operational design to ensure products and operating practices meet retail quality, product safety and regulatory standards.
- Conducts and documents reviews of new or changing products, equipment, fixtures, store designs or operating procedures that impact our retail stores.
- Collaborates cross functionally to develop test protocols and procedures for evaluation and validation of quality parameters as it relates to equipment development and/or operations processes.
- Provides field insight and expertise as continuous feedback loop to Seattle headquarters to ensure continuous quality improvement of food safety, quality and regulatory compliance in our retail stores.
- Understands and utilizes appropriate regulations and industry standards to establish a framework for assigned program area, and manages program execution in region of responsibility.
- Build and manages service provider relationships in assigned area.
- May directly manage, develop and inspire individual contributors.
- Analyzes quality metrics, audit data, customer feedback, regulator and work group input. Highlights trends and potential opportunities, and provides continuous improvement recommendations to department leadership.
- Leads investigation and resolution of food safety, service provider and/or regulatory incidents from regulators, retail stores, or internal and external customers. Determines and recommends appropriate mitigation activities.
- Develops and implements metrics to track effectiveness of assigned program to ensure internal and external customer needs are met and often exceeded.
- Delivers effective communications to provide partners at all levels with appropriate awareness and knowledge of quality assurance standards, requirements, program updates and process changes.
- Leads project teams to develop and implement new QA programs or continuous improvement initiatives. Collaborates and influences cross functionally and globally to create alignment of QA programs across the company.
- Maintains and builds expertise in product regulations, product safety best practices, local public health / food service regulations and industry best practices.
- Leverages knowledge to train more junior professionals in regulatory standards, QA processes and their role in the business.
Summary of Experience
- Progressive experience within a quality assurance department - 7 years
- Developing, implementing and monitoring food safety training programs, standards and compliance - 7 years
- Assessing safety and regulatory compliance of food, handling practices, and the sanitary deign of food equipment and facilities - 7 years
- Gathers, interprets and reports on quality metrics or performance indicators - 7 years
- Project management - 3 years
- Senior or supervisory role in regulatory/enforcement agency food safety program - 5 years
- Review of Foodservice Establishment Plans (i.e. Plan Review) - 5 years
- Teaching and administering Food Safety Certification programs - 5 years
- Retail Foodservice Operations - 1 year
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- BS in science-related field preferred
- Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS/RS) or Certified Professional - Food Safety (CP-FS) preferred.
- Knowledge of FDA Model Food Code and California Retail Food Code
- Knowledge of ANSI/NSF Standards and methodologies for the sanitary design of food equipment
- Knowledge of HACCP principles and application at retail
- Knowledge of sanitary design and construction principles of food facilities
- Knowledge of food microbiology
- Knowledge of water and sewer safety and regulations
- Familiarity with integrated pest management
- Ability to build effective relationships and work as part of a team
- Ability to think and operate strategically
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to lead small teams, to manage progress effectively in ambiguous and unstructured situations
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deliver accurate outcomes
- Ability to multitask, be detail oriented and to remain calm under pressure
- Ability to manage and resolve conflicts
- Ability to assimilate new information quickly and react positively to new and challenging opportunities
- Ability to create and format templates, reports, and technical documents
- Ability to apply sound technical principles and practices to problem solving
- Ability to organize data, analyze information, draw conclusions and make recommendations
How to Apply
Please apply through Starbucks online system: