Environmental Engineer 5 – Water Distribution Systems Engineer
Company: Washington State Department of Health
Location: Kent, WA; Spokane, WA; or Tumwater, WA
Date Posted: May 2, 2017
Application Deadline: May 21, 2017
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $ 5,943– $7,801 Monthly, DOQ
Environmental Engineer 5 – Water Distribution Systems EngineerEnvironmental Engineer 5 – Water Distribution Systems Engineer
About the Position
Within the Engineering and Technical Services Section, this position supports the DOH mission by providing statewide environmental engineering and technical leadership to various programmatic teams, ODW Section Supervisors, and the regulated community including representing the Office as an authority in cross-connection control; distribution system design, assessment, and operations; disinfection byproduct and corrosion control measures; and as drinking water program technical liaison with federal, state, and local entities.
In working with other ODW Sections and teams, this position supports the following Office strategic directions:
- Respond to health threats from drinking water emergencies.
- Provide accurate, easily accessible drinking water data and information to all.
Know how water is being provided to public water systems.
- Know the quality of water being provided by public water systems.
- Make it clear to public water systems what their responsibilities are.
- Stay ahead of the curve.
- Serving as the state-wide technical authority for distribution system condition assessment techniques and tools, distribution system operations for optimized water quality, and hydraulic modeling.
- Planning and conducting research and investigations; applying environmental engineering principles; and establishing guidance for staff, consultants, and utilities supporting and promoting distribution system assessment and optimized distribution system operations.
- Interpreting state drinking water regulations, state codes, agency policies, and federal and state program guidance for ODW section supervisors and staff, the regulated community, and state and local agencies.
- Serving as engineering lead in the development of new and updated technical guidance publications on distribution system component assessment, optimized operations, cross connection control (CCC), and emergency response and health advisory guidance related to distribution system component failure.
- Organizing and participating in meetings with other DOH sections and other state and federal agencies.
- Consulting with and advising cross-agency counterparts as needed to support understanding of ODW’s program interests, objectives, and requirements;
- Identifying gaps and inconsistencies in public water system oversight across agencies, and notifying and advising ODW Section Supervisors regarding such gaps.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in one (1) of the following engineering fields: sanitary, water resource, civil, geotechnical, environmental, chemical, mechanical, or a related field; AND five (5) or more years of experience in environmental engineering.
- A Doctorate degree or higher in one (1) of the following engineering fields: sanitary, water resource, civil, geotechnical, environmental, chemical, mechanical, or a related field; AND three (3) or more years of experience in environmental engineering.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Washington and in good standing with the professional licensing board.
Four (4) or more years of demonstrated experience working with federal or Washington State drinking water regulations.
- Demonstrated experience in the following:
Using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Analyzing data using databases.
- Planning and adjusting workload to meet deadlines, prioritizing core business functions.
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/1728723