Planner Principal State - Sanitation
Company: Minnesota Department of Health
Location: Minnesota (one of 8 offices, TBD)
Date Posted: November 6, 2017
Application Deadline: November 16, 2017
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $52,659 - $77,590 / annually
Planner Principal State - Sanitation
About the Position
This position will be located at one of the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) district offices: St. Paul, Bemidji, Duluth, Fergus Falls, Mankato, Marshall, Rochester, or St. Cloud. The location of this position will be determined based on the selected candidate of this position.
The incumbent in this position will act as a liaison and resource to assess, develop, coordinate, and assure state statute and rule compliance by state and delegated food, pools and lodging services (FPLS) programs based on the essential elements of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Standards.
Responsibilities will include:
- Participate in the planning and development of a comprehensive, effective, results-oriented multi-agency statewide food, pools and lodging services program.
- Conduct surveys, analysis, and evaluations of state and local delegated food, pools and lodging services programs and providing recommendations to improve the program.
- Design and develop communication materials and media techniques needed to communicate and promote the section's objectives.
- Coordinate training, provide consultation, and participate with local and state agencies in food, pools and lodging services regulatory, compliance and enforcement activities.
- Provide planning assistance to local public health agencies that wish to develop and improve delegated programs.
- Coordinate activities with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) and other partners.
Registration as an Environmental Health Specialist/Sanitarian in Minnesota or ability to obtain registration within six months of start date.
Bachelor's degree AND two years of advanced professional experience in the planning, implementation and administration of environmental health, public health or environmental protection programs OR Bachelor's degree AND five years of related experience in the planning, implementation and administration of environmental health, public health or environmental protection programs.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of research and analysis techniques sufficient to formulate study design and methodology and coordinate and direct work of consultants and interdisciplinary task forces.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, policy analysis and planning, research methods, and state and federal laws governing the development, management, and delivery of public health and environmental health programs.
- Proficiency in English (speaking, writing and reading) sufficient to respond to customers and to edit, compose, and process responses without review.
- Ability to review and evaluate technical reports and planning documents.
- Ability to identify and evaluate information/data and develop policy and program management recommendations.
- Ability to conceptualize alternative solutions to complex issues and convey them to diverse audiences.
- Ability to write, edit and organize material from diverse sources to prepare comprehensive plans and communicate oral and written presentations for use within and outside the department.
- Ability to develop new techniques and procedures for accomplishing goals and objectives.
- Ability to design and direct implementation of work plans for major studies.
- Ability to organize and lead diverse internal/external stakeholder teams.
- Master’s degree in public health.
- Experience in environmental health regulatory work.
- Knowledge of and experience interpreting and implementing federal and state laws and regulations pertaining to the regulation of food establishments, swimming pools, lodging facilities, manufactured home parks, recreational camping area, and children’s camps.
- Knowledge of Minnesota’s FPLS delegation structure.
- Knowledge of and experience implementing or auditing the FDA Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards.
- Knowledge and experience with the theories, principles and practice of continuous quality improvement.
- FDA Standardized Food Safety Inspection Officer or meet minimum eligibility requirements to become a FDAvStandardized Food Safety Inspection Officer within six months of hire.
- Experience preparing accurate and professional documents such as reports and grants applications.
- Decision-making skills sufficient to make conclusions during surveys, evaluations, assessments, or audits.
- Experience creating or maintaining websites including consideration of website usability and user experience.
- Experience creating ADA complaint electronic and print communications products (infographics, fact sheets, presentations, newsletters, talking points, social media content) for distributing in plain language via the web, print publications, e-mail, blogs and social networking sites (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram).
- Knowledge of educational curriculum theory and experience developing educational curricula.
- Effective presentation, group facilitation, and public speaking skills sufficient to professional represent the program(s) and address various and diverse (external and internal) groups, organizations and media.
- Ability to communicate in plain language with external and internal stakeholders about highly technical issues.
- Knowledge and interest in records and information management principals, taxonomies and best practices.
- Knowledge and experience with graphic design or graphic arts.
- Knowledge of computer software programs used in web page and document development and publication including HTML, graphic formats, and web page development software such as Dreamweaver, InDesign, Photoshop or other available software tools.
- Knowledge of computer software tools for remote meetings (Skype for Business, WebEx, and Adobe Connect).
- Proficiency in basic computer software applications including: Microsoft Office, SharePoint, and the ability to troubleshoot new software.
- Professional-level experience prioritizing daily schedule, tasks and deadlines while interacting with multiple levels of relationships.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Experience managing multiple projects or activities at the same time.
- Ability to lead without formal authority under conditions of ambiguity.
- Ability to work independently and or in a team environment.
- Ability to react to changes in priorities and be able to incorporate changes into daily schedule.
- Physical Requirements
- Requires occasional lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to drive long distances, walk long distances, traverse inclines and declines, climb stairs, and negotiate tight spaces.
- Ability to work in undesirable environmental conditions including inclement weather, extreme temperatures, and in loud surroundings.
- Ability to work in travel status for up to a week or more at a time.
This position requires successful completion of the following:
- Must successfully pass a background check.
- Must possess a valid Class D driver’s license.
How to Apply
View posting and apply online: