Environmental Health Manager
Company: Town of Addison
Location: Addison, TX
Date Posted: December 13, 2017
Application Deadline: January 13, 2018
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $71,789.80-$107,663.92 Annually
Environmental Health Manager
About the Position
Under general guidance from the Assistant Director of Development Services and Planning, the Environmental Health Manager plans, administers and manages activities, operations and assigned staff in the Environmental Health Division. Responsible for maintenance and improvement of varied aspects of environmental and public health, safety, and comfort. Enforces existing ordinances, statutes, and laws, and proposes amendments and new ordinances, policies and procedures to efficiently address current and impending environmental health issues. Assists with development and management of Division budget. Position requires regular contact with the public that necessitate considerable tact and judgment.
- Manage assigned Division staff and budget.
- Plan, manage and assist with inspection of food handling establishments, mobile and temporary food service units.
- Enforce provisions of tenants' rights ordinance.
- Educate violators on proper methods of achieving compliance; conduct follow up inspections; issue warnings and citations; prepare official complaints for use in court on citations issued; maintain evidence; appear in court to testify if necessary; suspend and revoke permits and close facilities if warranted.
- Interface with Building Inspection Department in overlapping areas concerning housing standards, restaurant/pool construction, plan review and storm water management.
- Implement nuisance abatement programs; expedite cleanup and sanitary treatment of illegal discharges and pollutants; monitor commercial discharges to sewer system (industrial pretreatment); regulate transportation and disposal of liquid waste materials generated within the Town.
- Responsible for enforcement of swimming pool ordinances and pertinent sanitation codes.
- Investigate complaints concerning unsanitary conditions and suspected food borne illness.
- May attend and assist with presentations to City Manager and Council regarding budget and/or Environmental Health-related matters.
- Prepare special reports.
- Manage vector control program; enforce smoking ordinances; oversee program regulating height of grass and weeds.
- Perform other tasks as needed or directed.
- May be required to work unusual hours due to emergency or special events.
- Responsible for representing the Town at Board, Commission or outside meetings.
- Incumbent may be assigned to perform extra job duties that are directly, indirectly or completely unrelated to normal job functions in the course of work.
BENEFITS & SALARY INFORMATION
- Annual salary range: $71,789.90-$107,663.92
- Competitive compensation package with partially paid Health & Dental Insurance for employee from date of hire.
- Addison participates in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS) with a 7% employee contribution with 14% Town contribution at retirement. Fully vested after 5 years.
- Optional deferred compensation 457 Plan with Town contribution after new hire trial period.
- Tuition reimbursement program at 50% of tuition cost.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s Degree with minimum thirty (30) hours basic, applied or natural science required. Master's degree in environmental - public health or business preferred. Five (5) years directly related and progressive work experience at least one of which was in a supervisory capacity. Master’s degree may substitute for two (2) years of work experience.
Certifications: Valid Texas Driver’s License. Registration as a Professional Registered Sanitarian in the State of Texas (required within one year if incumbent is nationally credentialed as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist/Registered Sanitarian). Certified Pool Operator and Texas Certified non-Commercial Pesticide Applicator's license required within one year of employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Thorough knowledge of federal laws, state statutes, and Town ordinances pertaining to public and environmental health. Verbal fluency and persuasiveness, good grammar, professional presence and demeanor. Strong analytical and interpersonal skills are essential. Ability to interpret ordinances and budgets, make independent evaluations and judgments, and enforce codes equitably, fairly, and diplomatically. Ability to prepare clear and concise reports and to plan and execute detailed research projects. Ability to assign tasks, supervise and evaluate work of others. Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with fellow employees and deal tactfully and pleasantly with others. Safe driving record. Clear criminal background check and clear pre-employment drug screen.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit an online application at www.addisontexas.net and attach your resume and letter of interest. For additional information about the Environmental Health Manager position please contact Caitlin Kite at 972.450.2817.
The Town of Addison is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services.