Director of Healthy Homes
Company: New York City Housing Authority
Location: New York City, NY
Date Posted: March 5, 2018
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full Time
Director of Healthy Homes
About the Position
The New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) is the nation’s largest public housing authority, with an operating budget of $3.3 billion and approximately 10,600 employees who manage and maintain 325 developments that house over 400,000 residents. NYCHA also operates the country’s largest Section 8 program, which provides rental assistance to over 200,000 additional families.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, the Lead-Based Paint Program Director in the Healthy Homes Unit (HHU) will be responsible for the overall management and administration of all lead-based paint operations at NYCHA. This includes but is not limited to, annual visual assessments, biennial re-evaluations, elevated blood lead level response, lead safe work practices, lead paint abatement, and training and certification, all in accordance with the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Lead Safe Housing Rule et seq., the HUD Guidelines for the Evaluation and Control of Lead-Based Paint Hazards in Housing issued pursuant to Section 1017 of the Residential Lead-Based Paint Hazard Reduction Act of 1992 (Title X), and the New York City Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Act of 2003 et seq.
The Lead-Based Paint Program Director’s responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership, vision and strategic planning for NYCHA’s lead-based paint programs, ensuring (in collaboration with the Chief Compliance Officer) that NYCHA is fully compliant with all city, state, and federal regulations associated with lead-based paint
- Manage and supervise a growing team of 40+ operational, subject matter experts and third-party consultants
- Understand principles of organization, administration, personnel management, and solid performance-based management
- Oversee a high-paced, high-volume annual visual assessment schedule
- Develop and manage procedure development, adaptations and process improvements to ensure to assure compliance with pertinent laws, rules and regulations and deadlines
- Develop a comprehensive data reporting infrastructure for external reporting to NYCHA’s regulators and internal reporting to the Executive Team and Board, in collaboration with the Chief Compliance Officer to ensure seamless compliance reporting
- Serve as a liaison on lead-based paint matters to residents, tenant associations, various outside agencies, elected officials, and any other external stakeholders
- Manage multiple large-scale, multi-million-dollar contracts and vendor performance for annual visual assessments and hazardous paint remediation
- Coordinate with a large-scale capital lead abatement program to take place in parallel to the operational program
- A Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, or equivalent; preferably a Master’s Degree in the fields of public administration, business management, environmental planning, public health or a related field
- Ten years of full-time satisfactory experience in the planning, administering or expediting of environmental, engineering design and/or construction project, two years of which must have been in an administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory capacity
- Excellent management skills, ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Experience overseeing large teams of staff and vendors performing multiple different types of work at a fast pace
- Integrity – imbue the Authority with strong ethical principles
- Strategy and Vision – identify trends, project consequences, and plan accordingly.
- Data-focused and Solutions-driven – utilize data to identify and manage trends and improve performance
- Superb Communication – ability to communicate expertly and clearly, both written and verbal, to a wide range of stakeholders
- Goal and Outcomes Oriented – demonstrated ability to make timely and sound decisions; establish priorities and successfully carry out multiple assignments, meeting critical deadlines and timeframes
How to Apply
Interested candidates may submit cover letter and resume to www.nyc.gov/careers/search. Search for JOB ID# 334357.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer