Purpose: To prevent children worldwide from using tobacco products.
• by 2030 worldwide deaths from tobacco use are expected to surpass 10 million a year (to more than triple);
• at this level, tobacco-associated deaths will surpass the number of deaths from tuberculosis, malaria, and maternal/childhood conditions combined;
• in developing countries, smoking will cause one out of three adult deaths in 2020, up from one in six (1990);
• NEHA is concerned with the health of our communities, our nation, and the world; and
• a global approach to tobacco prevention was identified during the first International Policy Conference on Children and Tobacco, recently held in Washington, D.C.;
Therefore, be it resolved that NEHA hereby endorses a global strategy against tobacco use by youth.