Administrative Support Specialist
Company: National Environmental Health Association (NEHA)
Location: Denver, CO
Date Posted: November 16, 2018
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full-time
Salary: Dependent on experience and qualifications
Administrative Support Specialist
The mission of the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) is to advance the environmental health professional for the purpose of providing a healthful environment for all. Be part of an organization that supports thousands of members committed to ensuring that the air we breathe, the food we eat, the water we drink and play in, and the homes and buildings we live and work in are all safe to enjoy. Since 1937 NEHA has been at the crossroads wherever human health and the environment intersect. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, through grant and membership support, NEHA works with partners such as the EPA, CDC and FDA on critical and diverse issues such as climate change, food safety, water quality, preparedness and more. With over 5,000 members and a growing staff of 30 employees we work to fulfill our mission by setting standards of excellence for the profession through our credentialing program; by providing opportunities for education and training at our annual conference as well as through online and in-person courses; and by providing advocacy through our Government Affairs Department. Our headquarters is located in the Denver area.
About the Position
NEHA is seeking an Administrative Support Specialist to support its Entrepreneurial Zone (EZ) Department. This person will report directly to the Department Director and will provide administrative support to the director and the department, including managing department communications, assisting with travel coordination and reimbursement, and managing registration for all department events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates Department Director’s schedule.
- Coordinates administrative support for all department projects.
- Manages the department’s social media needs.
- Assists Department Director with researching topics as needed.
- Manages department project calendar and keeps track of project schedules.
- Documents department procedures to ensure consistency.
- Prepares meeting and event agendas as needed.
- Acts as recording secretary; prepares meeting notes and action items.
- Updates department policies and procedures as needed.
- Tracks and orders department supplies.
- Provides administrative support to Training & Sales Support as needed.
- Assists staff with the association’s e-learning system as needed.
- Manages mail merge process and external communications.
- Drafts correspondence related to projects.
- Researches and drafts abstract reports.
- Researches data for speaking engagements and infographics.
- Manages department communications when team members are traveling.
- Supports the Training Logistics Manager with coordinating travel arrangements for staff, subject matter experts and instructors as needed.
- Completes and submits expense reports and prepares expense report tools.
- Maintains current travel calendar and contact information for department.
- Creates events in relevant software system.
- Serves as point of contact for all event registrations.
- Works with Training Logistics Manager to secure and negotiate hotel contract terms.
- Keeps team apprised of all metrics related to events.
- Ensures event billing matches contract terms.
- Ability to occasionally lift 50 lbs. or less.
- Ability to frequently lift 25 lbs. or less.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to speak and hear.
- Manual dexterity required for operating office equipment.
Bachelor’s degree. Professional experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the education requirement.
Experience and Skills
- At least one year of experience as an administrative support professional.
- Customer service experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Superior organizational skills.
- Accounts receivable experience preferred.
- Experience working in a non-profit or government setting preferred.
How to Apply
Apply for this position through our portal here.
What We Offer
We offer a generous benefits plan including paid sick and vacation leave and health, dental, vision plans with employee premiums paid 100% by the association. Our benefits also include a five percent of base salary contribution to employee retirement plan; paid short and long-term disability plans and paid term life insurance. We offer workplace flexibility and a wellness program led by an employee committee that strives to inspire, create and maintain a workplace environment that supports physical, mental, and social wellbeing.
When Considering Applicants
When considering applicants, we look for integrity, a vision for what is possible and a proven performance record, along with the education, experience and skills that match the position requirements.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
The National Environmental Health Association provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the association complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the association has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.