Company: City of Arlington
Location: Arlington, TX
Date Posted: January 11, 2019
Application Deadline: January 14, 2019
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary: $47,717.00 – $59,646.00 Salary USD
Environmental Health Specialist
About the Position
JOB SUMMARY: Under general supervision inspects facilities and property to assure conditions are not detrimental to public health; examines plans for compliance with Health Department requirements; and maintains records and performs related work as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ability to inspect food establishments, child care facilities, public pools, and septic systems to enforce health and nuisance codes and issue permits.
- Ability to examine detailed engineering and structural designs for new or remodeled construction projects related to food establishments, day care centers and public pools to ensure compliance to Health codes. Ability to perform field inspections to verify plans.
- Ability to prepare written reports on inspection findings and any violation of regulations, including court citations. Ability to prepare written correspondence relative to plan review regarding violations and related informational items.
- Ability to provide information to the public and other city departments on methods of general sanitation by verbal exchanges, memos, correspondence or pamphlets. Ability to communicate with architects, engineers, contractors, building owners, Sanitation Inspectors and City employees in other departments to coordinate information, solve problems and answer questions pertaining to Health Code enforcement.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ability to inspect for insect and rodent infestation and provide larvacide and mosquito control spraying and vector control programs; may prepare chemical pesticides.
- Ability to advise and make recommendations regarding location and construction of waste disposal systems for homes or establishments without access to municipal systems.
- Ability to interpret results of laboratory findings on samples of food or samples taken from water and septic installations and recommend any corrective action.
- Ability to instruct food handlers on good sanitation practices and issue permits for food handlers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of environmental sanitation; knowledge of diseases and their transmission and control.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws pertaining to public health. Knowledge of current health code construction requirements and health regulations.
- Knowledge of other departments' regulations concerning food establishments, day care centers and swimming pools.
- Knowledge of the structure and functions of public health organizations and community interrelationships.
- Knowledge of current social and economic problems related to public health.
- Skill in conducting sanitation inspections and surveying.
- Skill in reading and interpreting building plans and blueprints.
- Skill in oral and written communications.
- Ability to review material for detail and to translate plans and designs into a working construct.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare reports.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public and other city personnel. Ability to enforce regulations with fairness, firmness and tact.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely through oral and written communication.
- Ability to analyze sanitation defects and calculate costs involved in corrections.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical movements such as walking, climbing, crawling, kneeling, seeing, squatting, stooping and twisting of the body.
- Ability to operate a personal computer.
Qualifying Education and Experience:
Must be a Texas Registered Professional Sanitarian or in training and able to attain certification within 6 months of start date. Ability to obtain Public Health Pest Control License and Pool Operator License within one year of employment. Valid Texas Driver's License, Class C. A Bachelor's Degree in biological or physical science or related field. A minimum of two years' experience in public health. Some experience reviewing or reading plans/blueprints preferred. Pre-employment testing includes: criminal background check, drug and alcohol testing, physical and motor vehicle review.
How to Apply
Apply for this position on the City of Arlington Human Resources Website: