Company: Maryland Department of Health
Location: Baltimore, MD
Date Posted: February 8, 2019
Application Deadline: March 8, 2019
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary: $44,898.00 - $71,671.00/year
Regional Sanitarian (Sanitarian IV, Registered)
About the Position
This position serves as a Regional Sanitarian in the Center for Food Processing, Office of Food Protection, Prevention and Health Promotion Administration. The Regional Sanitarian inspects food processing facilities and evaluates and tests equipment and processes to verify compliance with State and federal laws and regulations that govern food safety. This position also performs the following duties: collects food samples; serves as a member of the Rapid Response Team; conducts Pre-opening inspections for food processing plants and retail chain Or franchise facilities; provides training and consultation to industry and local health departments; conducts investigations related to foodborne disease outbreaks and complaints; performs studies such as time and temperature relationships or pH assessment to assure safe food processing; and takes enforcement action when necessary to gain operator compliance and protect the public from adulterated and misbranded food. The Regional Sanitarian works in partnership with industry and local, State, and federal agencies to promote public health and ensure that food products are produced in a safe and sanitary manner.
Education: Determined by the Maryland State Board of Environmental Sanitarians under the certificate of eligibility requirements for Environmental Sanitarians.
Experience: Four years of environmental health work experience in the promotion, control, and maintenance of environmental health.
1. Applicants may substitute a master’s degree in public health or environmental health sciences for one year of the required general experience.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience at a rank of Corporal/Petty Officer or higher as a commissioned officer in Environmental Engineering classifications or Environmental Engineering specialty codes in the Engineering and Science field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
The successful applicant should have training in food facility inspections, be able to work primarily in the Southern Maryland or Baltimore metro area, as well as travel throughout the state, and have excellent communication skills.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Candidates for positions in this classification must possess a current license as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist from the Maryland State Board of Environmental Health Specialists. A copy of current registration must be attached to the application.
2. The licensure requirements are pursuant to State Environmental Article, Title 11, COMAR 26.07.01 through 26.07.04. The Secretary of the Department of Budget and Management cannot accept any substitutions.
3. Further information on eligibility requirements, to include application for license, may be obtained from the Administrative Officer, Maryland State Board of Environmental Health Specialists, 4201 Patterson Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21215.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted online at https://www.jobapscloud.com/MD/sup/BulPreview.asp?R1=18&R2=000277&R3=000... by 11:59:00 PM on March 8, 2019.