Company: Cambridge Health Alliance
Location: Cambridge, MA
Date Posted: May 3, 2019
Application Deadline: June 2, 2019
Employment Type: Full time
Public Health Compliance Specialist
About the Position
Department: Environmental Health
Location: Cambridge Public Health Department, Cambridge, MA 02139
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Type: Non-Union
Work Shift: Day/Evening with Variable Start Time
Work Days: Primarily Mon-Fri 9am - 5pm with some evenings as needed
Date Posted: Apr-12-19
Requisition Number: hrq-89420
Job Purpose: This position serves the primary function of assuring the health and safety of people who live, visit, or work in Cambridge by conducting inspections, enforcing state and local public health regulations, and maintaining permits for regulated activities, including Urban Agriculture, Body Art, Bodywork Therapy, Indoor Ice Rinks, and Tanning Establishments. The Public Health Compliance Specialist will also assist in the resolution of environmental health complaints and address emerging environmental health hazards in accordance with applicable regulations, and through other means of assistance as necessary, including education, outreach, appropriate referrals, multi-jurisdiction coordination, policy development, and all-hazards preparedness planning. This position will report directly to the Community Resilience and Preparedness Manager.
- Perform inspections requiring technical and professional judgment in the areas of public health and environmental health.
- Prepare and maintain inspection reports and records, including observations, violations, and recommendations for compliance.
- Perform Administrative functions and permitting activities for the following regulatory programs: Urban Agriculture (beekeeping, chickens, and soil safety certification), Body Art/Tattoo Establishments, Bodywork Therapy Establishments, Indoor Ice Rinks and Tanning Establishments.
- Assist in public health emergency preparedness planning, including preparation for drills, protocol development, drafting and updating written plans, and community outreach in relation to all-hazards preparedness and climate change preparedness and resilience. Work entails close partnership with local agencies and organizations to engage a broad array of stakeholders, including residents most vulnerable to disasters and disruption of critical services.
- Assist in collaborations with city agencies, local organizations, Urban Agriculture Task Force, and members of the Cambridge Food & Fitness Policy Council to provide technical assistance in the areas of food safety, food defense, and food waste reduction and donation, including establishment of best practices and guidance.
- Collaborate with other local and state agencies as necessary to address cross-jurisdictional and/or multi-jurisdictional issues, and engage in investigation, research, problem-solving, and policy approaches to public health concerns related to environmental exposures that extend beyond the scope of existing regulations.
- Oversee maintenance, calibration, and recordkeeping for analytical equipment.
- Participate in activities related to Public Health Accreditation, including the Strategic Plan, Community Health Improvement Plan, and Quality Improvement projects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned to support response to community concerns, engage in community outreach, and support local emergency preparedness work.
Education/Training: Bachelor's degree required (BA/BS), including substantial coursework in the basic sciences (biology, chemistry, physics, etc.). Master's degree in public health (MPH) preferred. • Licensure: MA Registered Sanitarian License (RS) preferred.
Certifications: National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) preferred; MA RS license may substitute.
Work Experience: At least three years of applicable professional experience preferred; masters-level training may substitute for some of the required experience. Valid Massachusetts driver's license and the use of a private vehicle for work purposes.
How to Apply
Apply Online: http://www.Click2apply.net/kfxds8ngy9rmy59t